udpsrc multicast sockets ignoring multicast IP

Tim timothy.frame at baesystems.com
Wed Sep 25 14:15:08 UTC 2019

Hi all,

In previous posts I've described behavior where we have a multicast pipeline
using rtspsrc.  We have multiple pipelines running in a single process to be
able to record video/audio from multiple sources.  We noted that frequently
we are seeing SSRC value changes in the RTP session that did not come from
the video/audio source and were trying to understand how that could have
happened.

It turns out that our video/audio sources are using different multicast IP
addresses per source, but all using the same port for their audio RTP stream
and all using the same port for the video RTP stream (e.g. source 1 using IP
address A and port X for video and Y for audio and source 2 using IP address
B and port X for video and Y for audio).  From all of my reading this should
not be a problem, but we are seeing the sockets for each pipeline picking up
RTP payloads from others causing the SSRC change, upstream pad creation,
etc.  Making each video source and audio source use a unique port number
resolved the issue.

Should udpsrc be using IP address/port combo during socket creation?

Thank you for all of your help.

-Tim