vu meter overlay

Carl Karsten carl at nextdayvideo.com
Sun Sep 29 05:29:14 UTC 2019

I want the audio tracks of an AV stream visualized and mixed into the video.

For LCA in Jan we will have 6 live streams.  we have a control room where
we monitor them in whatever way we dream up on the fly.

This year I am trying to formalize a nice thing.  for sure I want a 3x2
view.  Not sure I want that mixed in gst's pipeline or have 6 players and
tile them using the window manager.

However I manage keeping the 6 streams organized, I would like to see a vu
meter that is part of the display (a 2nd window floating around will
quickly become confusing.

any suggestions?

voctomix uses some gtx - python code :
https://github.com/voc/voctomix/blob/master/voctogui/lib/audioleveldisplay.py

I 'can' use that, but I would much prefer something like

gst-launch-1.0 audiotestsrc wave=ticks ! audioconvert ! spectrascope !
video/x-raw,width=30 ! ximagesink

Is the black background transparent?

also: kinda need peek too.  But really "no audio" or "almost no audio" is
the condition we are watching out for. audio compressors have mostly gotten
rid of clipping, which may be all I need a peek meter for.

--
Carl K