displaying format=(string)GRAY8 on ximagesink

Erik Rull erik.rull at rdsoftware.de
Thu Apr 23 09:48:50 UTC 2020

Dear Josh,

Josh Doe wrote:

> You don't exactly say what the result is with your current pipeline. Have you
> tried substituting "avimux ! filesink location=test.mp4" or similar for
> ximagesink to see what you're getting?

I haven't tried.

> I ran your pipelines but with videotestsrc instead of appsink, and it works
> fine. Only thing I can see going on is that your appsrc isn't actually producing
> data as GRAY8, 401x404. Also, are you padding the rows to 404x404? GStreamer
> assumes widths are multiples of 4-bytes, so you'll need to pad rows with three
> pixels.

Oh - I was not aware of that. This would explain a lot - the BGRx is
automatically 4 byte-aligned, the 8 bit data not.
Do you have more information on these constraints? How do I have to handle the
padding? Must I pad to 4 byte and also round up the width to be a multiple of 4?
Or is the pad to 4 sufficient and gstreamer leaves out what is not necessary?

> -Josh

Best regards,

Erik