license requirements

Sebastian Dröge sebastian at centricular.com
Fri Apr 24 08:52:28 UTC 2020

Hi Kevin,

On Thu, 2020-04-23 at 16:10 -0700, kevin bergner wrote:
> if a commercial product uses gstreamer what documentation needs to
> beincluded?  is there any legal recourse if the company does not do
> it?

For legal advice you should ask your lawyer, I am not a lawyer.

But generally for GStreamer you have to follow the rules of the LGPL
license, version 2.1 or at your choice any later version. There are
lots of articles and FAQs on the Internet for explaining these in non-
legal terms but in short (and possible incomplete): you have to make
any modifications to LGPL-licensed code available to your users but
your application code can be under whatever license you like as long as
you allow your users to run the application against a modified version
of the LGPL-licensed code. In addition you need to tell your users
about the LGPL-licensed code that is included in your product and about
the terms of the license.

Legal recourse is the same as with any copyright violation, nothing
specific about GStreamer here. Someone owning copyright of portions of
the code you're using could sue you if they believe the terms of the
license are not followed.

--
Sebastian Dröge, Centricular Ltd · https://www.centricular.com