ximagesrc at 144 fps

Nicolas Dufresne nicolas at ndufresne.ca
Fri Apr 24 15:08:29 UTC 2020

Le mercredi 22 avril 2020 à 10:01 -0500, Xiaojiba a écrit :
> Hello,
> I have been looking all around for one week now but no one seems to be
> needing a ximagesrc at more than 30 fps... I saw one at 60fps but it's all
> fine until 60 so, it was not related to my problem.
>
> I have a pipeline to capture my screen to a file :
>
> ``
> gst-launch-1.0 -e ximagesrc ! \
> 	"video/x-raw, framerate=144/1" ! \
> 	jpegenc quality=5 ! avimux ! \
> 	filesink location=file.avi
> ``
>
> This compiles, but when I open the .avi with for example VLC,
> I have a framerate of 144, BUT it takes 60 frames of the first second, 60 of
> the second one and 24 if the third one
>
> Easier with 120 fps : It takes 2s at 60 fps to have one full second on VLC
> I believe ximagesrc is capped at 60 frame per second, am I correct ? Or my
> pipeline is wrong ?

ximagesrc is capped by (first one hit) your CPU speed, compositor rate,
display rate. Many Linux compositor will hardcode 60, regardless of
your screen refresh rate.

If you are interested in better performance and better rate, you will
have to move on with gnome-shell Wayland and use the Screencast portal
to request a pipewire stream. This requires some programming though, of
course a project to make a gst source could be nice.