Monitoring Audio/Source devices on Windows

Nicolas Dufresne nicolas at ndufresne.ca
Sat Apr 25 16:22:58 UTC 2020

Le sam. 25 avr. 2020 12 h 00, Ilya Aleshkov <ilya.aleshkov at gmail.com> a
écrit :

> Hi,
>
> I'm investigating device monitor events for Audio/Source devices.
> I'd like to receive appropriate events for built-in webcams microphones
> (and for external microphones as well).
>
> Please take a look at the "gst-device-monitor-1.0 -f" output. Every time I
> used the same scenario - I removed and then added the same camera
> (Microsoft LifeCam HD-3000) while another camera (Logitech C922 Pro Stream)
> was plugged in.
>
> Ubuntu 18.04 (GStreamer 1.14.5): - That's how it should work
> Device removed:
>     name  : Microsoft® LifeCam HD-3000: Mi
> Device removed:
>     name  : LifeCam HD-3000 Analog Mono
> Device found:
>     name  : Microsoft® LifeCam HD-3000: Mi
> Device found:
>     name  : LifeCam HD-3000 Analog Mono
>
> Ubuntu 19.10 (Gstreamer 1.16.1): - It's not an ideal case but is still
> usable
> Device removed:
>     name  : Microsoft® LifeCam HD-3000: Mi
> Device modified:
>     name  : C922 Pro Stream Webcam Analog Stereo
> Device modified:
>     name  : LifeCam HD-3000 Mono

That seems like a regression, as it's not backward compatible. Are you sure
the removed event are no more ? Modified event applies to when you choose
pulse audio default, as you can change it dynamically through the system
configuration. I think this is a nice addition so you can keep the UI
up-to-date.

Device found:
>     name  : Microsoft® LifeCam HD-3000: Mi
> Device modified:
>     name  : C922 Pro Stream Webcam Analog Stereo
> Device modified:
>     name  : LifeCam HD-3000 Mono
>
> Windows 10 (GStreamer 1.14.4/1.16.1/1.16.2): - Nothing about Audio/Source
> devices at all. I still can workaround it but not for an external mic.
> Unfortunately, I don't have one to test with it.
> Device removed:
>         name  : Microsoft LifeCam HD-3000
> Device found:
>         name  : Microsoft LifeCam HD-3000
>
> Is it a known issue? How to deal with this situation?

I don't know when it was introduced, but wasapi plugin should have a device
provider. Maybe it's non-monitoring ? The story around non-monitoring
provider is very bad, I would need to check, Nirbheek ?