ximagesrc at 144 fps

Daniel Johnson teknotus at gmail.com
Sun Apr 26 22:37:25 UTC 2020

> I'm referring to Screencast portal. This comment seems to mix multiple
> topics together in order to support a rant.

I was trying to save the person asking the question from the pain of
installing Wayland if they don't actually need it.

> No one have touched ximagesrc for a long time, feel free to give it some
> love, it's old and slightly deprecated, but it haven't worked well since
> the introduction of GL compositors (at least that's what my memory thinks
> is the trip point). Note that normally how damage should work would be to
> download the damage from xserver and apply the delta on top of a copy of
> the full previous frames. That's what we do in rfbsrc (known as VNC).
> GStreamer does not have mechanisms to stream damages. This also mean it
> would be a very bad base for VNC server, or other damage.

Yeah gstreamer has no support for partial buffer updates so I don't
understand why it's on by default when most users would want time based
updates. It would make sense if they are trying to debug some aspect of
screen updates and the want a frame for each update, but it's more data
than most systems can handle so still not very useful. Weston has a screen
recorder that captures to wcap format essentially each damage event but it
only captures the damage so it isn't overloaded.

> With the Screencast portal (also works on KDE btw), the compositor can
> zero-copy the full rendered image through pipewire, which is a better fit
> for streaming. There is still some work to enable zero-copy with another GL
> pipeline, or VAAPI encoder, but this is being worked on. The portal
> implement X11 fallback for folks on X11.
>
> I use this regularly inside video conference and for wifi display, I doubt
> my experience is unique. It also ensure that as a user I'm aware that
> someone is spying on my screen. With X11, any background process can do
> that silently.
>

>> The thing I was talking about doesn't use pipewire so apparently we are
talking about different features.