GST_DEBUG = 7 on Android?

Ben Rush ben at ben-rush.net
Fri Aug 7 04:56:15 UTC 2020

I've got a strange crash in my application where I get the following
briefly before things go wrong:

GLib-CRITICAL **: 23:42:52.907: g_error_new_literal: assertion 'message !=
NULL' failed
GLib-CRITICAL **: 23:42:52.907: g_error_free: assertion 'error != NULL'

I set the GST_DEBUG level to 5 to get this. However, I had hoped to get
more information printed out by going up to level 7, but it seems I do not.
I'm used to 7 giving me an insane amount of information on the desktop --
is there something special about the Android build that prevents more
information being dumped?

I have no idea how to go about solving my issue otherwise. I'm writing a
Xamarin app that calls into the Gstreamer code via "pinvoke". Without me
detailed tracing I feel like I'm shooting in the dark. If anyone has advice
for debugging nicely on Android, let me know too.

Note, this is how I'm setting level 7:
setenv("GST_DEBUG", "7", 1);
  setenv("GST_DEBUG_NO_COLOR", "1", 1);