Slowly growing memory usage with H264 decoding

Pavel Myuller pavel.myuller at gmail.com
Fri Aug 21 07:56:04 UTC 2020

Hi All,

I have a problem with this command:

gst-launch-1.0 filesrc location="file.mp4" ! qtdemux ! avdec_h264 !
xvimagesink

GStreamer version is 1.16.1 from Ubuntu 19.10 distribution (also reproduced
on 1.16.2)

The memory usage of the gst-launch process is continuously growing while
the file is being played. The rate of growth is very slow at ~1MB/7min.

If I replace xvimagesink with fakesink, the memory grows much faster until
the file is successfully decoded. Steadily from ~140MB to ~170MB for 4 hour
video.

This problem persists with playbin and decodebin elements.

If I replace source H264 video with the one encoded in VP9, the problem
goes away. Any other H264 video exhibits this problem.

Anyone else experienced this? What can I do to diagnose the issue better?

Thanks you in advance,

Pavel Myuller.