audiomixer gaps

jim nualart jim at austinmodern.com
Tue Dec 8 06:12:22 UTC 2020

Hi,
Hoping that someone can shed some light on this...

The following pipeline results in a file with gaps every 5 seconds:
export TESTSOURCE1="audiotestsrc wave=0 volume=0.8 is-live=true
do-timestamp=true samplesperbuffer=480"
export SINK="wavenc ! filesink location=test.wav"
timeout 60 gst-launch-1.0 $TESTSOURCE1 ! audiomixer ! $SINK

If you open the resulting wav file (e.g., in audacity), there are gaps
every 5 seconds.

If you remove the audiomixer from the pipeline, there are no gaps. If you
use an adder (instead of the audiomixer), there are no gaps.

I've looked at logs (GST_DEBUG=audiomixer:6), and there are no obvious
errors/warnings/etc.

I realize that the audiotestsrc is not really a live-source and I'm not
sure how well it behaves as such. But I am actually troubleshooting a
similar issue using an alsasrc instead. I am hoping that if I understand
what's going on here, it will help on the other issue. (For the issue with
the alsasrc, I've gone so far as to write the data to files; one at the src
of the element feeding the audiomixer, and one at the src of the audiomixer
itself -- the first shows no gaps, while the later does show gaps.)

Many thanks in advance to any advice.
-jim