audiomixer gaps

jim nualart jim at austinmodern.com
Fri Dec 11 02:38:31 UTC 2020

Hi Matt,
I tried that as well. I get the same result .. gaps every 5 seconds.

If I remove is-live (with or without do-timestamp), then there are no gaps.
However, in this case, I also get a much larger, and longer, file; which I
don't understand.

And again, if I use an adder (vs audiomixer), I get no gaps (with is-live
and do-timestamp both true). And if I remove the adder, same ... no gaps.

I'm trying not to get hung up on audiotestsrc itself as it is simply a way
for me to demonstrate what I see with my pipeline using alsasrc and an
audiomixer.

I suppose I don't really understand what audiomixer is doing. Another
oddity (I think) is that if instead of running the sample pipeline for a
set time (using the timeout command), I instead use num-buffers=1000 (in
audiotestsrc), I get different resulting file sizes:
- with an adder, I get a file with 10.884s of audio and a size of 960056
bytes.
- with an audiomixer, I get a file with 10.920s of audio and a size
of 1926332 bytes.

Any chance someone is willing to run the same test and compare results?
export TESTSOURCE1="audiotestsrc wave=0 volume=0.8 is-live=true
do-timestamp=true samplesperbuffer=480"
export SINK="wavenc ! filesink location=test.wav"
timeout 60 gst-launch-1.0 $TESTSOURCE1 blocksize=960 ! audiomixer ! $SINK

The gaps go away if I use an adder, as does my actual problem in my "real"
pipeline, but I'd like to understand why.

thanks in advance,
-jim