ADV7280 capture

Fabio Estevam festevam at gmail.com
Thu Dec 24 00:10:28 UTC 2020

Hi Tim,

On Wed, Dec 23, 2020 at 7:43 PM Tim Harvey <tharvey at gateworks.com> wrote:

> Fabio,
>
> Recently you mentioned you were capturing successfully using an
> adv7280 analog video decoder on an imx6dl with 5.10.

What worked for me was to just launch the pipeline:

gst-launch-1.0 v4l2src device=/dev/video2 ! kmssink

after applying the following patch:
https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/stable/linux.git/commit/?h=v5.10.2&id=9fe46e7946fca0e9444c1481fec01e7bdcf636ea

I could not test the image captured by the analog camera because I
don't have access to it yet.

I should probably get the camera in January and then I will be able to
test it. I will let you know how it goes.

> I have found that using the adv7280 on an imx6q/dl does not work
> without a patch [1] to make the output format of the adv7280 the same
> as the adv7180. I'm not sure what the best solution for this issue is
> as the patch was nak'd because it may break existing users of the
> adv7280. I suspect perhaps the best approach is to add a kernel module
> parameter or device-tree property to configure the adv7280 for
> compatibility with the imx6 CSI.

Thanks for the explanation. I will keep this in mind when I test the
camera capture via ADV7280.

> I also still have to patch imx-media-csi.c to skip the first few
> frames in order to sync properly on bt656 sources [2]. I'm also not
> sure if this patch is perhaps acceptable upstream of of there is a
> better solution.

Yes, I recall this one. It does help with the scrolling issues.

What about formally submitting this one for discussion?

> I would have expected you to run into these issues as well?

I believe I will run into these issues too. I will keep you posted
when I get a chance to test it.

Thanks for you help!

Fabio Estevam