roundrobin usage

Yair Reshef yair99 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 11 10:03:38 UTC 2020

gst-launch-1.0 -v \
videotestsrc ! roundrobin name=source \
multipartmux name=mkvMux ! filesink location=/opt/mv/foo.mkv \
source. ! queue ! coloreffects ! pngenc ! mkvMux. \

On Tue, Feb 11, 2020 at 11:48 AM Yair Reshef <yair99 at gmail.com> wrote:

> thank you for the clarification.
> lets say i dont care for their outgoing sync/order.
>
> i can mux them into a single file.
>
> gst-launch-1.0 -v \
> videotestsrc ! roundrobin name=source \
> matroskamux name=mkvMux ! filesink location=/opt/mv/foo.mkv \
> source. ! queue ! coloreffects ! mkvMux. \
> source. ! queue ! coloreffects ! mkvMux. \
> source. ! queue ! coloreffects ! mkvMux.
>
> but is there a (dirty?) way to merge them into a single stream?
>

> On Mon, Feb 10, 2020 at 4:11 PM Nicolas Dufresne <nicolas at ndufresne.ca>
wrote:

>> Le lun. 10 févr. 2020 07 h 15, Yair Reshef <yair99 at gmail.com> a écrit :
>>>
>>> hi,
>>> i have single thread decoder plugin
>>> i would like to use round robin plugin to send a timestamped src to the
3 different decoder instances.

>>> 1. am i thinking about this wrong? should queue handle this in some why?
>>

>> If your decoder can handle random frames, yes, it's possible to add
parallel processing this way (e.g. would work with PNG or jpeg). Would
require: roundrobin, then a queue after each pads, though we are missing an
element to close the loop, we need funnel, but with synchronization so that
buffers comes out in order. That would be a nice addition, and like
roundrobin should be very simple.

>>> 2. how do i use the roundrobin plugin, as its described as a "reverse
of tee"

>> Now that you highlight this, I need to rework that doc. Reverse of tee
is funnel, roundrobin is like tee, 1 to N, but sends each buffer to one
pad, were tee sends buffer to all pads.

>>> gst-launch-1.0 -v videotestsrc ! roundrobin name=s ! fpsdisplaysink s.
! fpsdisplaysink s. ! fpsdisplaysink

>>> "This is a generic element that will distribute equally incoming
buffers over multiple src pads. This is the opposite of tee element, which
duplicates buffers over all pads. This element can be used to distrute load
across multiple branches when the buffer can be processed independently."

>>> note: ubuntu's stock 1.14.5 gst build doesnt show it. but gst-build
exposed it.

>> roundrobin element was added in current development phase, so will be
available in next stable release (1.18). It's a trivial element, feel free
to copy into your project if LGPL is compatible. It's part of
-bad/gst/rist, as this is the only usage inside GStreamer for now.

https://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/documentation/rist/roundrobin.html?gi-language=c