How to operate "valve" element

bb bb.bills at exemail.com.au
Mon Feb 24 22:50:11 UTC 2020

Greetings,

I find the 'valve' element confusing in spite its seemingly simple
interface.
I got a simple filesrc -> valve -> appsink pipeline and am trying to use the
valve to control the flow. Initially the valve is open and all is good. When
the "drop" property is set to TRUE the new samples stop arriving as
expected. Now if the "drop" is set to FALSE again I don't get any new
samples; i find it counterintuitive.

In an attempt to get this working (e.g. getting samples flowing each time
the valve is open, regardless of the previous state) I was setting the
appsink state to GST_STATE_PAUSED whenever valve "drop" is TRUE and to
GST_STATE_PLAYING when valve "drop" is FALSE. That worked better as appsink
is getting new samples whenever the valve is open, however the samples