Intel VAAPI Max number parallel encode

Olivier Crête olivier.crete at collabora.com
Tue Feb 25 21:38:08 UTC 2020

Hi,
There is no specific limit of instances with Intel VAAPI drivers, it should degrade gracefully as you add more. As for the number of a specific type per GPU, I don't think Intel publishes any claims, but in my experience, it depends on a lot of factors, such as the generation of the CPU/GPU, the speed of the RAM, the encoding options, etc.  So you're really stuck with trial and error (or at least benchmarking) to see how many you can do in real time. The "intel_gpu_top" tool can help.
Olivier
On Tue, 2020-02-25 at 12:57 -0800, Frederic Turmel wrote:
> Hi, how to know how many VAAPI elements you can leverage at the same time. I could not find so far any good spec for Intel GPU. All I find is that encode is supported but can't locate how many simultaneous encodes at what resolution.
>
> Anything better beside trial and error?
>
> Thanks
> FredT

Olivier Crête