[Intel-gfx] gitlab.fd.o financial situation and impact on services

Daniel Stone daniel at fooishbar.org
Fri Feb 28 09:26:23 UTC 2020

On Fri, 28 Feb 2020 at 08:48, Dave Airlie <airlied at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 28 Feb 2020 at 18:18, Daniel Stone <daniel at fooishbar.org> wrote:
> > The last I looked, Google GCP / Amazon AWS / Azure were all pretty
> > comparable in terms of what you get and what you pay for them.
> > Obviously providers like Packet and Digital Ocean who offer bare-metal
> > services are cheaper, but then you need to find someone who is going
> > to properly administer the various machines, install decent
> > monitoring, make sure that more storage is provisioned when we need
> > more storage (which is basically all the time), make sure that the
> > hardware is maintained in decent shape (pretty sure one of the fd.o
> > machines has had a drive in imminent-failure state for the last few
> > months), etc.
> >
> > Given the size of our service, that's a much better plan (IMO) than
> > relying on someone who a) isn't an admin by trade, b) has a million
> > other things to do, and c) hasn't wanted to do it for the past several
> > years. But as long as that's the resources we have, then we're paying
> > the cloud tradeoff, where we pay more money in exchange for fewer
> > problems.
>
> Admin for gitlab and CI is a full time role anyways. The system is
> definitely not self sustaining without time being put in by you and
> anholt still. If we have $75k to burn on credits, and it was diverted
> to just pay an admin to admin the real hw + gitlab/CI would that not
> be a better use of the money? I didn't know if we can afford $75k for
> an admin, but suddenly we can afford it for gitlab credits?

s/gitlab credits/GCP credits/

I took a quick look at HPE, which we previously used for bare metal,
and it looks like we'd be spending $25-50k (depending on how much
storage you want to provision, how much room you want to leave to
provision more storage later, how much you care about backups) to run
a similar level of service so that'd put a bit of a dint in your
year-one budget.

The bare-metal hosting providers also add up to more expensive than
you might think, again especially if you want either redundancy or
just backups.

> > Yes, we could federate everything back out so everyone runs their own
> > builds and executes those. Tinderbox did something really similar to
> > that IIRC; not sure if Buildbot does as well. Probably rules out
> > pre-merge testing, mind.
>
> Why? does gitlab not support the model? having builds done in parallel
> on runners closer to the test runners seems like it should be a thing.
> I guess artifact transfer would cost less then as a result.

It does support the model but if every single build executor is also
compiling Mesa from scratch locally, how long do you think that's
going to take?

> > Again, if you want everything to be centrally
> > designed/approved/monitored/controlled, that's a fine enough idea, and
> > I'd be happy to support whoever it was who was doing that for all of
> > fd.o.
>
> I don't think we have any choice but to have someone centrally
> controlling it, You can't have a system in place that lets CI users
> burn largs sums of money without authorisation, and that is what we
> have now.

OK, not sure who it is who's going to be approving every update to
every .gitlab-ci.yml in the repository, or maybe we just have zero
shared runners and anyone who wants to do builds can BYO.