Duplicate timestamps observed using rtspsrc

Bill Klein bill at orbit.org
Fri Jan 3 18:12:02 UTC 2020

I have a pipeline as follows:

rtspsrc -> depay -> parse -> decode -> videoconvert -> appsink

I am setting the new_sample callback on appsink to get notified about new
samples, at which point I use gst_app_sink_pull_sample to pull the sample.

Everything works well, but I've observed that *sometimes*, at least for
some setups (the difference of which I haven't yet figured out), I will
sometimes pull a sample with the exact same *GST_BUFFER_PTS* as the
previous sample.

Is this normal/acceptable/possible? What might lead such a thing to happen?

For some setups I haven't seen this at all, while for others the pipeline
is littered with many thousands of these duplicates in some time...

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

- Bill