video freezing on the screen but gstreamer still running

gilmotta flight.display.1 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 8 21:15:03 UTC 2020

Hello everybody,

I am writing a Java app for Imx8 (ARM) running Ubuntu 18.04. I have a stress
test that plays random videos (Big Buck Bunny.mp4 is one of them) every 5
minutes.

>From time to time, gstreamer just freezes but there is no error or issues in
the syslog. I look into HTOP and I see that gstreamer is still consuming cpu
at 15% which is the normal for me. If I wait long enough, I receive EOS from
gstreamer as if it terminated the video normally with the Total showed
frames, Playing for and fps information, etc.

It does not matter the length of the video. I have seen the problem with 2
minutes and 30 minutes long videos.

HTOP is showing no memory leaks or anything wrong.

If I play again it plays normally. the issue is intermittent and it does not
lock up the hardware.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

If you are a gstreamer veteran , I will pay you a bounty to work with me to
uncover this issue.

Thanks so much,
Gil