NVidia components

Tim Müller tim at centricular.com
Thu Jan 9 12:34:43 UTC 2020

On Thu, 2020-01-09 at 02:27 -0800, Brian Dilley wrote:

Hi Brian,

> Should I build the entirety of gstreamer from scratch?  Should I not
> install the gstreamer packages that come with ubuntu and instead
> build them with gst-build?  I noticed ubuntu 18.04 (LTS) has
> gstreamer 1.14 while ubuntu 19.x (beta) has 1.16... should I just
> build 1.16 from GStreamer master (I assume that GStreamer master is
> 1.16) on Ubuntu 18.04 ?

master is master branch (1.17.x, to be 1.18 one day), 1.16 is 1.16
branch :)

I don't think the ubuntu packages include the nvidia plugin, so you
will likely have to build them yourself in any case.

You can try to just build the 1.16 plugin of course and use package
versions otherwise, but my recommendation would still be to not install
the gstreamer packages at all and go for gst-build git master branch
instead (perhaps with a sudo apt build-dep gstreamer1.0-plugins-base
gstreamer1.0-plugins-good gstreamer1.0-plugins-ugly gstreamer1.0-
plugins-bad gstreamer1.0-libav beforehand).

Cheers
 Tim