Current situation of Python bindings for Gstreamer on Windows?

QwjN1Y9mJvamZJ km212121 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 30 05:10:45 UTC 2020

Hi,

What is the current situation of Python bindings for Gstreamer on Windows?
I've searched around on the net but most information seems to be outdated.
Here's what I've found:

1. Pygobject for Windows is mentioned as one "enabler" for gstreamer python,
but the project appears to be abandonded and only supports Python versions
up to 3.3 or 3.4 anyway, which is too restrictive for me. I wonder if
current gstreamer versions would work with it anyway.

2. Building my own gst-python (e.g. with Cerbero) requires building
gobject-introspection (gi) first, but gi doesn't compile on Windows. At
least I've tried and failed and haven't found any recent tutorial/doc/post
about building gi on Windows. The gi issue tracker doesn't seem to have
relevant Windows-related posts, which could mean that either it should build
and I'm just not doing it well, or that developers' interest in making it
work on Windows is limited.

3. There aren't any ready-made packages (pip, conda) with Python bindings
for Windows.

Did I miss or misunderstood something?

The probably obvious reason why I'm asking is because I'd really like to use
Gstreamer from a Python project and I'm restricted to Windows. If there's
nothing else, I can create my own wrapper around the limited functionality I
need for my own project - an existing, tested solution would be preferred
and appreciated, though.