Need to split video stream into two streams with different types of frames

jackBuffington jbuffington at redzone.com
Wed Jan 29 18:43:09 UTC 2020

I have an application where I am recording video where I have a camera that
has its shutter being controlled by a microcontroller.   I am also
controlling two different types of lighting situations with this
microcontroller.  I have things set up so that the microcontroller can
decide which lighting setup to use on a frame by frame basis.   All of that
is working.  The microcontroller is connected to my host computer through a
GPIO pin which it uses to indicate which lighting setup is currently being
used.

I have made a Gstreamer element that is currently mostly a do-nothing
element that passes what comes into its input pad to its output pad.   It
can detect if the GPIO pin is high or low.   What I'd really like to do is
to modify this element so that it has two output pads and uses that GPIO pin
to choose which pad to send incoming buffers to.   This will allow me to
post process what was recorded more easily and should also hopefully help
with compression since the two lighting setups are very different from each
other.

I haven't been able to find any sort of reference where anything like this
is being done.  Can anyone point me in the right direction?