http stream is stopping after a few seconds

gotsring gotsring at live.com
Fri Jul 10 20:27:35 UTC 2020

I have little experience with video streams (I'm also fairly new to
GStreamer), but I'm getting the same problem, even when using auto-built
pipelines, e.g.

gst-play-1.0.exe
https://d2e1asnsl7br7b.cloudfront.net/7782e205e72f43aeb4a48ec97f66ebbe/index_5.m3u8

gst-launch-1.0 souphttpsrc
location=https://d2e1asnsl7br7b.cloudfront.net/7782e205e72f43aeb4a48ec97f66ebbe/index_5.m3u8
! queue2 use-buffering=true ! decodebin3 ! autovideosink

gst-launch-1.0 uridecodebin
uri=https://d2e1asnsl7br7b.cloudfront.net/7782e205e72f43aeb4a48ec97f66ebbe/index_5.m3u8
! autovideosink

I'd first of all recommend adding a buffering element after the http source,
such as queue2. Caching the stream should usually help prevent constant
starts and stops during playback. VLC, YouTube, etc. all do this.
See docs here:
https://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/documentation/application-development/advanced/buffering.html?gi-language=c

I'd also suggest trying a completely different HLS source to test the
pipeline, just to see if it's something wrong specific to this stream.
Someone will have to comment beyond this, I am simply uneducated in this
area.