gst-plugins-bad: avtp: error on gst_avtp_src_start:<avtpsrc0> Failed to open socket: Operation not permitted

Desouza, Ederson ederson.desouza at intel.com
Thu Jul 16 16:02:29 UTC 2020

Hi,

On Thu, 2020-07-16 at 10:56 -0400, John Rama wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to run avtp plugin as follows.
> I would like to use interface "enp8s0", but no success with following error.
> Would someone please help on this ?
>
> $ ninja -C build devenv
>
> $gst-launch-1.0 avtpsrc ifname=enp8s0 ! avtpcvfdepay ! avdec_h264 ! fakevideosink
> Setting pipeline to PAUSED ...
> 0:00:00.029821666 26687 0x56526bbeca10 ERROR                avtpsrc gstavtpsrc.c:213:gst_avtp_src_start:<avtpsrc0> Failed to open socket: Operation not permitted

The avtpsrc and avtpsink elements need CAP_NET_RAW/CAP_NET_ADMIN to
work, so the application will need to have that. If you are just
testing with gst-launch, you could do:

sudo setcap cap_net_admin,cap_net_raw+ep <path_to_gst_launch>

> ERROR: from element /GstPipeline:pipeline0/GstAvtpSrc:avtpsrc0: GStreamer error: state change failed and some element failed to post a proper error message with the reason for the failure.
> Additional debug info:
> ../subprojects/gstreamer/libs/gst/base/gstbasesrc.c(3557): gst_base_src_start (): /GstPipeline:pipeline0/GstAvtpSrc:avtpsrc0:
> Failed to start
> ERROR: pipeline doesn't want to preroll.
> Failed to set pipeline to PAUSED.
> Setting pipeline to NULL ...
> Freeing pipeline ...
>
> $sudo gst-launch-1.0 avtpsrc ifname=enp8s0 ! avtpcvfdepay ! avdec_h264 ! fakevideosink
> WARNING: erroneous pipeline: no element "avtpsrc"

"sudo" clears up some environment variables set by the "devenv" target
- try using "sudo -E", if using 'sudo'.

Also, as you are interested in the avtp plugin, I'll take the liberty
to share this link: https://tsn.readthedocs.io/avb.html#system-setup
It may contain some useful information on how to test it, in case you
need. Note however that the build instructions are a bit outdated, as
they are from before we got everything working with gst-build. But you
are past this part already =D

Cheers!