gstreamer raspbian buster rpi4 h264 omx HD video not working

horai ivo.hora at seznam.cz
Sat Jun 6 11:50:16 UTC 2020

Dear sir,

We do not use playbin, we rather contruct pipeline manually since we have a
finer control over the flow and elements.
Which graphical server do you use? Wayland or X11?
We try to program a multi window player and we faced some issues regarding
Wayland, but there have been quite a few changes since then and I would
really encourage you to try waylandsink with v4l2h264dec (have a look at
proper settings to get hardware acceleration), it was blazing fast.
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=240274
The same we did on X11 graphical server Embedding sink into GTK window
brings some things to resolve and finding a working and fast solution
(especially combination of codec and sink) was a matter testing. There is a
huge variety of sinks which go along with GTK and v4l, just list all of them
the via:
gst-inspect-1.0 | grep sink
And pick the ones related to video.
Initially, cluttersink seemed very suitable for our purpose (must be
installed from repository libclutter-gst-3.0-dev), but we dropped it.
I was not successful in embedding kmssink into GTK window (nor I managed to
run it under X11 or Wayland), but it has already been a long time since I
tried it last, therefore I would encourage you to try it as kmssink was
fabulously fast without X11.
I guess,using OMX on RPi4 with KMS support is not possible since it disables
binary proprietary Broadcom driver used by OMX, there might be some chance
using fake-KMS, but I would really encourage you to use v4l, it is a
standard.