Sending mkv file over udpsink gstreamer

josh josh at caffeinatedkiwi.com
Wed Jun 10 07:21:42 UTC 2020

I've been looking into your issue as I have a similar issue. From my testing
it seems to be an issue when the file is h264 encoded as it works fine with
VP8 encoding for me. I'm wondering if it has something to do with h264
and/or the bitrate.

For example :
# Download an example VP8 file without audio
gst-launch-1.0 souphttpsrc
location=https://www.freedesktop.org/software/gstreamer-sdk/data/media/sintel_trailer-480p.webm
! matroskademux name=d d.video_0 ! matroskamux ! filesink
location=vp8noaudio.mkv sync=false

# Stream example VP8 file (works fine)
gst-launch-1.0 filesrc location=vp8noaudio.mkv ! matroskademux ! rtpvp8pay !
udpsink host=127.0.0.1 port=8054

# Download same file and encode H264 without audio
gst-launch-1.0 souphttpsrc
location=https://www.freedesktop.org/software/gstreamer-sdk/data/media/sintel_trailer-480p.webm
! matroskademux name=d d.video_0 ! matroskamux ! filesink
location=h264noaudio.mkv sync=false

# Stream example H264 (drops frames)
gst-launch-1.0 filesrc location=vp8noaudio.mkv ! matroskademux ! rtph264pay
! udpsink host=127.0.0.1 port=8054

# On the client side receiving video I'm using this for VP8
gst-launch-1.0 udpsrc port=8056 !
application/x-rtp,media=video,encoding-name=VP8 ! rtpjitterbuffer !
rtpvp8depay ! decodebin ! videoconvert ! queue max-size-buffers=3 !
autovideosink

# On the client side receiving video I'm using this for H264
gst-launch-1.0 udpsrc port=8056 !
application/x-rtp,media=video,encoding-name=H264 ! rtpjitterbuffer !
rtph264depay ! decodebin ! videoconvert ! queue max-size-buffers=3 !
autovideosink

When I use gst-discover-1.0 on the files I noticed that bitrate isn't listed
on the h264 file but on the vp8 it's 80000.