nvdec element. How does it choose device?

Nicolas Dufresne nicolas at ndufresne.ca
Fri Jun 19 12:09:40 UTC 2020

Le jeudi 18 juin 2020 à 16:26 +0300, Борис a écrit :
> Hi. I have graphic card and i need to decode 7 video pipelines. I realized
> that i can do only 5 using one graphic card, so i need to buy a second.  In
> connection with this i had a question: there is no option to choose device in
> nvdec module, does nvdec makes it's own decision about what device to choose
> or is there any way to set device? And if it chooses device, how does it do
> that?

For completion, as this was answered in an issue, and replied by Seungha, this
feature will be supported in the next release of GStreamer (and is avaialble in
git master). The decoders in master are exposed as:

  nvh264dec
  nvh264device1dec
  nvh264deviceNdec

Sam apllies to V4L2 CODEC and I believe DXVA2. We don't have any load balancing
into GStreamer in this regard as this is pretty niche, so applications must pick
the decoder manually in order to distribute the load over multiple devices.