Is anyone actually using gstreamermm?

Marcin Kolny marcin.kolny at gmail.com
Wed Mar 11 20:57:12 UTC 2020

Hi Sarah,
ex-gstreamermm maintainer here. The project is not being maintained for a
while (as you can see from the commit list), but you can still use it even
with the latest version of gstreamer (however, some of the APIs might not
have all the methods wrapped so you'll still need to use C API and .gobj()
method).
In terms of plugins; it's actually possible to write them fully in C++.
Unfortunately I never managed to write any example, but there's a few tests
which you can treat as examples [1]. Also, a few years ago I gave a talk
about gstreamermm [2] and briefly talked about all the features of that
project (including writing plugins) so you might find it useful.

[1] https://github.com/GNOME/gstreamermm/tree/master/tests/plugins
[2]
https://gstconf.ubicast.tv/videos/gstreamermm-c-way-of-doing-gstreamer-based-applications/

śr., 11 mar 2020 o 17:49 David Ing <ding at panopto.com> napisał(a):

> I don't know anything about the project, but a quick glance at the commit
> history shows no activity since 1.10.  I am guessing the project is out of
> date.
>
> I have a C++ project which consumes gstreamer, and I just consume the
> C-language API.
>
> You might want to invest in a day creating some shared pointers for
> frequently used objects which already have reference-counting
> functionality.  You would just write very thin C++ wrappers to tap the
> existing reference counting functionality.
>
>    - GObject
>    - GstMiniObject
>    - GstObject
>

> On Wed, Mar 11, 2020 at 10:09 AM Sarah Newman <srn at prgmr.com> wrote:
>
>> I'm planning to use gstreamer for a new project which needs a pipeline
>> and likely also a plugin. gstreamermm seems like a good idea since we're
>> planning on C++, but there's not a lot of evidence of it being used in
>> the wild.
>>
>> Is gstreamermm reliable enough for one or both of those tasks right now?
>> I don't see any examples for writing a plugin using gstreamermm, which
>> suggests it might not be fit for that purpose. And if it does work, is
>> there a minimum version we should be using?
>>
>> --Sarah

Marcin Kolny