ximagesrc and RTP streaming, evaluate solution and performance

alexxtasi alextasikas at gmail.com
Thu May 7 07:37:10 UTC 2020

@Daniel Johnson and @Arnaud Loonstra thanks for the replies.

I have to make clear that RaspberryPi is not a requirement for me, just a
part of my tests.
The only requirement is "grab the screen".

Daniel Johnson wrote
> I've got a stream like this working from a raspberry pi 4 with 4 gigs of
> ram. I'm using the hardware h264 encoder on the raspberry pi using the
> v4l2 encoder element. I'm not sure if the new driver is the default yet or
> if you need to manually turn it on to make the encoder available from
> Gstreamer. It also has some weird bugs like having blue and red swapped in
> the recording. I fixed it with an extra capsfilter it shouldn't need. For
> 25 fps setting the monitor refresh rate to 25 or 50 fps might help
> slightly.

I understand you use v4l2src while I am using ximagesrc to grab the display.
Could you please share the pipeline so I can compare to mine and inspect
faults on my side ?

Arnaud Loonstra wrote
> I've done a setup like that with h264 rtp streaming with very little
> latency (hardly visible). It was with lower resolutions however! What
> definitely matters is using x264enc zerolatency option!

Hey, using "x264enc tune=zerolatency" made a huge improvement !!!! Thanks !!

So is this they way to go (stick with ximagesrc use-damage, x264enc
tune=zerolatency) ?

gst-launch-1.0 ximagesrc use-damage=0 \
        ! video/x-raw,framerate=30/1 \
        ! videoscale method=0 \