Setting the DAR of a video stream?

Alexander Sack pisymbol at gmail.com
Thu May 14 14:46:03 UTC 2020

On Thu, May 14, 2020 at 10:23 AM Alexander Sack <pisymbol at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have a pipeline that crops a video to a resolution (3040x3040) but I
> noticed that
> when I play back the video the DAR is listed as the original native
> resolution of the camera.
>
> Is there a way to fix/set the display aspect ratio in the final MKV?
>
> So the streams leading to the muxer look like this:
>
> ,, ! video/x-h264, width=(int)3040, height=(int)3040,
> stream-format=(string)byte-stream ! h264parse ! muxer.video_0 ! matroskamux
> name=muxer streamable=true ! filesink name=fsink location=whatevermp4
>
> I want the DAR to be 1:1 when the video is played back etc.

I should qualify this a bit - all of the recording, cropping, and encoding
is being done in hardware. So GStreamer doesn't have real access to the
frame until after the encoder which is the pipeline sample you see above.

I looked at "aspectratiocrop" but that seems to deal with raw frames
pre-encode.

But the fact is the frames out of the encoder are 3040x3040 but the stream
created still has a DAR of the original camera resolution and I really want
it to be 1:1.

Thanks!

-aps