Gstreamer VAAPI with Ubuntu 20.04 LTS

Wolfgang Grandegger wg at grandegger.com
Mon May 18 10:37:40 UTC 2020

Hello,

I installed the brand-new Ubuntu 20.04 LTS on my Intel Skylake PC. It
starts now up with the Intel iHD driver by default:

  $ vainfo
  libva info: VA-API version 1.7.0
  libva info: Trying to open /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri/iHD_drv_video.so
  libva info: Found init function __vaDriverInit_1_7
  libva info: va_openDriver() returns 0
  vainfo: VA-API version: 1.7 (libva 2.6.0)
  vainfo: Driver version: Intel iHD driver for Intel(R) Gen Graphics - 20.1.1 ()
  vainfo: Supported profile and entrypoints

I can switch back to the old "Intel i965 driver" driver using

  $ export LIBVA_DRIVER_NAME=i965

That works fine but my understanding is, that the new iHD driver
supports the Skylace graphics hardware as well.

What is the status of the Gstreamer VAAPI for iHD?

When I try to run a simple pipeline, it crashes with a SIGSEGV:

  $ export GST_VAAPI_ALL_DRIVERS=1
  $ gst-launch-1.0 videotestsrc ! vaapisink
  ..
  Caught SIGSEGV

I also built the development branch with the new meson build tools
(BTW: that's really cool stuff!):

  $ git clone https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/gstreamer/gst-build
  $ cd gst-build
  $ meson build --buildtype=debug
  $ cd build
  $ meson configure -Dvaapi=enabled
  $ ninja
  $ ninja devenv

But it fails with the same error.

Is there some benefit in using the new iHD in favour of the old i965 driver?

Thanks,

Wolfgang