vtenc_h264 gamma wash out

Stepan Salenikovich stepan.salenikovich at gmail.com
Sat Nov 14 01:00:00 UTC 2020

Hi,
I noticed that when using the hardware h264 encoder on a mac, the colors
seem a bit off. Specifically light greys seem to become almost white and
are hard to distinguish.
The issue goes away when using the software x264 encoder.
It seems to be a known problem with macs' hardware encoder based on finding
blogs about it that go back to 2008 and possibly earlier.
I was wondering if there are any know corrections that can be applied? I
tried using the "gamma" element, but shifting gamma to be darker causes the
other colors to be too dark/saturated.

Thanks,
-stepan