performance issue when building gstreamer from souce

Lusine lusinehayrapetyan1992 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 18 14:23:15 UTC 2020

Hi Folks,
On my Ubuntu 18 machine I have installed gstreamer. Version is 1.16.2.
Running the following command takes 5 second(I've attached screenshot):
<http://gstreamer-devel.966125.n4.nabble.com/file/t379720/gstreamer1.png>
gst-launch-1.0 filesrc location=~/videos/shallow_1280.mp4 ! decodebin !
x264enc ! mp4mux ! filesink location=out.mp4

Then I've uninstalled this gstreamer and built it from the source code with
meson and ninja and now the same command takes 20 seconds. I've tried the
latest master branch and 1.16 branch and both are slow:
<http://gstreamer-devel.966125.n4.nabble.com/file/t379720/gstreamer_built.png>

I don't know why I see this difference? Maybe there is some missing
configuration when building gstreamer, I did the following steps for
building:
git clone https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/gstreamer/gst-build.git
cd gst-build
meson <build_directory>
ninja -C </path/to/build_directory>
ninja -C </path/to/build_directory> install