GStreamer GUI on Windows

gotsring gotsring at live.com
Wed Nov 25 21:43:01 UTC 2020

I'm trying to create a small viewing program on Windows to view live video
feeds from an IP camera. I've created something for Linux using GStreamer
1.18 and GTK3, but porting this to Windows is proving more difficult than I
thought for the following reasons:
 - Building/Running the original code with MSYS2 packages is possible, but
this removes some of the hardware encoding/decoding support I need, so I
have to move to MSVC builds
 - Using GTK3 with an experimental MSVC build is a little unstable.
Viewsinks are not always captured within the GDK window (they spawn as
standalone d3d output windows). If they are captured into the GDK window,
they usually stay blank. This seems to be a GTK/GDK issue, but I haven't yet
found anything in the debug output that has helped diagnose this.

Are there preferred methods for hosting GStreamer output windows in an
application?
I've tried using GstSharp and hosting the viewsink windows in a WPF form,
but I had problems with gstreamer dll bindings, even when using the sample
code.

Example error:
EntryPointNotFoundException: Unable to find an entry point named
'gst_message_ref' in DLL 'gstreamer-1.0-0.dll'.