Problems instaling gstreamer-vaapi in Gstreamer 1.18

peter12 mikelblaz6 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 16 11:39:11 UTC 2020

I manage to have installed and compiled the plugin VA-API in GStreamer 1.14.

However, I usually use  gstremaer 1.18, so I would like to compile to use in
that version.
https://github.com/GStreamer/gst-build

Therefore, I download and unzip gstreamer-vaapi-1.18.0 from this source
(http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/view/svn/multimedia/gstreamer10-vaapi.html),
and following the instrauctions I build it.

mkdir build &&
cd    build &&

meson  --prefix=/usr       \
       -Dbuildtype=release \
       -Dpackage-origin=http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/view/svn/ &&
ninja

ninja install

However, when I try to inspect if the elements are installed:

$ gst-inspect-1.0 vaapi
No such element or plugin 'vaapi'

I have to say that i am new with GStreamer and in the ubuntu enviroment.
What can I do?