send RTCP packets of APP type without compound with other RTCP

Nicolas Dufresne nicolas at ndufresne.ca
Wed Oct 21 12:18:49 UTC 2020

Le mer. 21 oct. 2020 02 h 00, chakra <wire.chakri at gmail.com> a écrit :

> Hi,
>
> I have been trying to send RTCP APP packets for custom synchronization,
> where in I would prefer to send 1 or multiple set of RTCP APP packets over
> UDP, but without compounding with RTCP RR,SR etc
>
> Reading through similar discussion at
>
> http://gstreamer-devel.966125.n4.nabble.com/Use-of-quot-on-sending-rtcp-quot-signal-td4689412.html
> I get that on-sending-rtcp signal can be used to send RTCP APP message but
> it looks to be along with other RTCP types
>
> I would like to know how to send the individual RTCP APP packets, any other
> signal/event can be used here?

With RTCP, there is strict rules on when to send packet. So in general, the
stack decide and you can append your app packet to the existing packet (if
there is enough space left). I don't remember on top of my head, but there
might be a trick to trigger an early RTCP (a bit like when a packet is
found missing by the JB). You need need to keep in mind RTCP is not meant
for feedback, not as a generic meta communication layer.

In gst-plugins-bad, you can look at the rist plugin. It crafts app packet
in order to support rist range based nack packets.