Deinterlacing problem

Tony Houghton h at realh.co.uk
Fri Oct 23 16:41:26 UTC 2020

VA-API probably has negligible benefit for SD MPEG 2 on a modern CPU, but
you should try to use it for HDTV. Are you saying that the deinterlacing
problems are caused by VA-API? What are the symptoms? Does gstreamer-vaapi
let you control the deinterlacing mode? If all of its modes are
problematic, perhaps it can be set to off and you can insert a separate
deinterlacer element.

Also, I noticed that although gstreamer-vaapi gives high ranks to its
decoders to override software mode, it doesn't promote its sink, so if
you're using something like playbin or autovideosink it will probably use
something like xvimagesink. You might want to try making sure it's using
vaapisink or opengl.

On Fri, 23 Oct 2020 at 16:41, Russel Winder <russel at winder.org.uk> wrote:

> Tony,
>
> By dumping the pipeline, it appears that if the VA-API plugins are
> available
> in the bad plugins then some VA-API stuff gets used instead of what I had
> assumed would be used.
>
> The GstURIDecodeBin manages to use a GstVaapiDecodeBin which does some
> deinterlacing, elements that are not used if the VA-API stuff is not
> present.
>
> Obvious solution, remove all the VA-API stuff, but is this the right
> solution?
>

> On Fri, 2020-10-23 at 15:53 +0100, Tony Houghton wrote:
> > On Sun, 18 Oct 2020 at 16:56, Russel Winder <russel at winder.org.uk>
> wrote:
> >
> > > I think I now have a full 1.16.2 build working as it should – except
> that
> > > deinterlacing of the video stream is not working as it was with
> GStreamer
> > > 1.16.2 installed in Sid :-( I shall have to sort this out before I can
> > > really
> > > do the git bisect. But at least I now have a start.
> > >

> > Could that be related to this issue
> > <https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/gstreamer/gstreamer/-/issues/607>;?

> --
> Russel.