git bisect of gst-plugins-bad

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Sun Oct 25 17:07:12 UTC 2020

Hi,

I think I have managed to come to terms with using gst-build for creating
builds of the whole of gstreamer and plugins for a given tag. There are
irritants such as having to manually update all the git repositories that get
pulled in prior to running "ninja -C Build update" – since update doesn't seem
to update :-(

However trying to use "git bisect" on the whole thing is problematic since
many critical commits do not result in a usable build – wrong dependencies,
etc. Also for my problem I am told the right way forward is to leave the bulk
of GSteamer at 1.18 and just git bisect on gst-plugins-bad. Sounds good in
principle, but I cannot see how to do it. If I set up gst-build to 1.18 and
build, I get a usable build. If I then start a bisect session and move gst-
plugins-bad only to 1.17.1, I get:

gst-plugins-bad: NO Subproject gst-plugins-bad version is 1.17.1 but >= 1.18.0.1 required.

The requirement that all git repositories are at the same tag seems to be
hardwired into the Meson build.

So the question is how to create a 1.18 build of GStreamer and get do a git
bisect of gst-plugins-bad?

If I have missed a webpage that tells me how to do this please feel free to
say "read <url>".

--
Russel.
Dr Russel Winder      t: +44 20 7585 2200