DISCONT, clear adaptor: rtpgstpay + UDP + 8/16-bit grayscale

mdb mikeybards at gmail.com
Tue Apr 20 13:48:22 UTC 2021

I want to send grayscale 1024 x 1280 x u12 (upscaled to u16) and 2056 x 2464
x u8 frame data from my producer, over ethernet, to a consumer. Research led
me to believe /rtpgst{de}pay + UDP/ was the way to go.

First, I am testing my pipelines just on my PC (linux 18.04, 16 GB RAM, 200+
GB SSD). Basic calculations show this will max at 1024 * 1280 * 16
bits/pixel * 30 fps = 629 Mbps/78MBps. Perhaps we will drop a lot of frames,
but I should see something at the other end, even if it is choppy. The setup
below only opens a black screen and the logs tell me

WARN             rtpgstdepay
gstrtpgstdepay.c:418:gst_rtp_gst_depay_process:<rtpgstdepay0> DISCONT, clear
adapter

Producer:

/ gst-launch-1.0 -v videotestsrc !
video/x-raw,height=1024,width=1280,format=GRAY16_LE ! rtpgstpay mtu=65000 !
udpsink port=1234/

Consumer:

/CAPS='<copy caps from producer>'/
/gst-launch-1.0 -v udpsrc port=1234 ! $CAPS ! rtpgstdepay ! videoconvert !
xvimagesink/

Tried: playing around with rtpgstpay mtu, udpsink blocksize/buffer-size,
framerate

Here is a profile, generated with gst-instruments, of a similar setup. It
tells me I am trying to send a lot of data over UDP. Obviously I don't think
I am sending exabytes but I would like to reduce this to MB territory. I
thought dropping the framerate would help but no dice...

<http://gstreamer-devel.966125.n4.nabble.com/file/t379957/producer.png>

<http://gstreamer-devel.966125.n4.nabble.com/file/t379957/consumer.png>