push opengl texture to gstreamer pipeline

Matthew Waters ystreet00 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 6 04:59:10 UTC 2021

Hi,

On 6/8/21 1:12 am, Lusine Hayrapetyan wrote:
> Dear Matt,
> Thank you very much for your response. It helped me to understand that
> using  'wrapped' OpenGL context is a wrong direction to go :)
>
> /WRT Suggestion 1:/
> Do I understand correctly that I need to get local context from
> gstreamer and pass it to opengl rendering thread? (I have a rendering
> thread where I set OpenGL|ES context and screen stuff).
> GstGLContext* mContext = nullptr;
> g_object_get(state->gldownload, "context", &mContext, NULL);
> guintptr handle;
> handle = gst_gl_context_get_gl_context(mContext); // is this correct?
> state->context = (EGLContext)handle; // state->context is EGLContext type;
> And then use state->context in OpenGL|ES?
> Do I need to get and pass window and display from gstreamer to my
> rendering thread as well?
> Although my use scenario is different from this one - I need to pass
> context from OpenGL to Gstreamer.

You only need to retrieve or create a non-wrapped GstGLContext and use
that for creating your textures that you are pushing into GStreamer.
You don't need to use GStreamer's provided OpenGL context for anything
else.  Everything else in your sample remains the same.  You may need to
add a GstGLSyncMeta on your buffers you are pushing into GStreamer to
provide the necessary synchronisation guarantees between the shared
OpenGL contexts (application and GStreamer).  On some platforms the
window handle type and format may be important however in general on
linux (X11/wayland) it doesn't really matter.

You must not attempt to use GStreamer's OpenGL context as-is (using e.g.
eglMakeCurrent() or anything of the like) from outside the GStreamer
OpenGL context thread (as provided by the gst_gl_context_thread_add() API).

> /WRT Suggestion 2:/
> gst_gl_display_create_context accepts /other_context /argument, should
> the /other_context /be the 'wrapped' context?

Yes.  other_context is the GstGLContext that will be shared with the
newly created GstGLContext.

Side note, GStreamer cannot use any application-provided OpenGL context
as-is due to the overhead of dealing with all the OpenGL state that may
be changed behind GStreamer's back.  This is why the OpenGL context
sharing dance is required.

Cheers
-Matt