MJPEG Pipeline Very Slow

Tim Müller tim at centricular.com
Thu Aug 12 13:41:15 UTC 2021

Hi Dwight,

> I rechecked the CPU and it turns out that if I run gst-launch-1.0  it
> is only using 25% of the CPU, and it's actually faster than what I
> reported. The latency is 1 second or so, and the fps is 2-3 fps. When
> I run it through my application that includes g-streamer library it
> slows down a lot more and has a 6 second delay and barely 1 fps, so
> that might indicate a different problem in the application.
>
> My question is that if gst-launch-1.0 is only using up 25% of the CPU
> but it is not meeting my frame rate needs, is there a way to use more
> cores from the gst-launch-1.0 command ?

Another thing to check is what kind of frame rate throughput you get on
the sender side, with something like:

   gst-launch-1.0 ... ! jpegenc ! fakesink silent=false -v

which will print a line for every buffer coming out of jpegenc (but you
can also try without jpegenc to see if that makes a difference).

This just to check that the camera is giving you enough frames, and
jpegenc can keep up with that.

On the receiver side there will usually be a jitterbuffer typically
with 0.2-2.0s delay, which you should be able to configure however
(e.g. latency property on rtspsrc).

Cheers
 Tim