Video sink stuttering (xv/gl/auto)

Zeno Endemann zeno.endemann at kdab.com
Tue Aug 17 13:24:20 UTC 2021

Hello,

I noticed that a simple pipeline such as this one

     gst-launch-1.0 videotestsrc horizontal-speed=10 ! video/x-raw,
framerate=30/1, width=1600, height=900 ! autovideoconvert ! xvimagesink

has some stuttering in the playback (irregularly, but often after a few
seconds). Changing to glimasink or autovideosink does not change this.

However, if I encode the videotestsrc into a video file first, e.g.

     gst-launch-1.0 -e videotestsrc horizontal-speed=10 ! video/x-raw,
framerate=30/1, width=1600, height=900 ! vaapipostproc ! vaapih264enc !
h264parse ! mp4mux ! filesink location=a.mp4

and play that video back (using mpv), there is no stuttering whatsoever.

Can anyone help me understand what is going on?

Thanks,

--
Zeno Endemann | zeno.endemann at kdab.com | Software Engineer
KDAB (Deutschland) GmbH, a KDAB Group company