Gstreamer Video4Linux missing v4l2h264enc

Nicolas Dufresne nicolas at ndufresne.ca
Tue Aug 17 14:08:02 UTC 2021

Le mardi 17 août 2021 à 18:58 +0800, Hsia-Jun Li a écrit :

> On 8/17/21 5:22 AM, Nicolas Dufresne via gstreamer-devel wrote:
> > CAUTION: Email originated externally, do not click links or open attachments unless you recognize the sender and know the content is safe.
> >

> > Le jeudi 05 août 2021 à 15:39 -0400, Dwight Kulkarni via gstreamer-devel a
> > écrit :
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > We are new to gstreamer and are struggling with one issue.
> I think they are using an IMX8M+ platform which doesn't support v4l2
> encoder at all.

That needs clarification for sure due to the massive variation in multimedia
chip on the IMX8 series. According to this webside, it supporst 1080p60 encode
in H264/HEVC.

https://www.nxp.com/products/processors-and-microcontrollers/arm-processors/i-mx-applications-processors/i-mx-8-processors/i-mx-8m-plus-arm-cortex-a53-machine-learning-vision-multimedia-and-industrial-iot:IMX8MPLUS

Confusingly, IMX8M is decode only, using stateless Hantro G1/G2 chip, but 4k
capable, IMX8MM has Hantro G1/H1 limited to 1080p, and if I'm not mistaken,
IMX8M Plus, runs a stateful (with firmware) Amphion CODEC with both encoding and
decoding. This last one have had a driver submitted upstream by NXP themself
(nice isn't it!), and they are also sending GStreamer patches to support their
HW particularity. So down side, it's all early upstream, NXP BSP will work
better short term and comes with GStreamer integration.