AVTP/AVB standard and how to stream a filesrc

Desouza, Ederson ederson.desouza at intel.com
Tue Aug 24 19:20:42 UTC 2021

On Tue, 2021-08-24 at 15:38 +0200, Simon Werner via gstreamer-devel
wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I'm currently trying to set up an avb/avtp pipeline and stream audio via
> network. I figured out how to stream a sine tone using a testsrc but I'm
> unable to figure out how put a pipeline together which streams a wav file
> using the avtp plugins.
>
> This was my test command line
> gst-launch-1.0 filesrc location=5channel.wav ! wavparse ! audioconvert ! \
>     avtpaafpay mtt=50000000 tu=1000000 streamid=0xAABBCCDDEEFF000B
> processing-deadline=0 ! avtpsink ifname=eth0.2
> address=01:AA:AA:AA:AA:AA priority=2 processing-deadline=0
>
> But it results in this:
> Setting pipeline to PAUSED ...
> Pipeline is PREROLLING ...
> Pipeline is PREROLLED ...
> Setting pipeline to PLAYING ...
> Redistribute latency...
> New clock: GstSystemClock
> Got EOS from element "pipeline0".
> Execution ended after 0:00:00.343158539
> Setting pipeline to NULL ...
> Freeing pipeline ...

It just appears that the file was played all at once, which can be ok -
if using ETF qdisc, buffering and transmission "pace" will be done by
the kernel. For more information about the other relevant pieces to
have an AVB setup, you can refer to
https://tsn.readthedocs.io/avb.html.
If you really want the buffering and transmission "pace" to be done in
gstreamer, you can always add an "identity sync=true" and a queue, if
necessary.

> The second thing I'm trying to achieve is to have the stream comply to the
>  IEC 61883. What I see in Wireshark from the gstreamer example for avtp is
> something way different. How can I set up a pipeline which sticks to the
> IEC 61883 format since I've seen there are functions implemented for that
> standard?

IEC 61883 isn't currently supported in the AVTP plugin - only AAF and
CVF are supported.