What's the correct way to play sources from different offsets/times?

Trey Hutcheson trey.hutcheson at gmail.com
Tue Feb 2 19:20:51 UTC 2021

I have two video files that were created by a single pipeline; they were
started approximately 5 seconds apart. Each video has a time overlay.

I would like to play these two videos back in the same pipeline (for now,
each to a different video sink/window), but respect their different start
times.

I've built a pipeline that watches the clock, and when the clock advances
past a certain threshold (roughly 5 seconds), it wires in the second video
and starts playing it from a filesrc. However, when the second video
starts, the video itself starts 5 seconds *into* the video, if that makes
sense. The time overlay displayed in the video is roughly 5 seconds later
than if I play the file in an independent viewer.

So what's the proper way to control the relative position of this second
video stream? Seek on the filesrc? Seek on the demuxer. Set a negative
start time or offset on an element somewhere?