autovideosink does not work in native Windows machine for RTP stream but works in VM

Rigamonti Roberto roberto.rigamonti at heig-vd.ch
Fri Jan 8 10:43:12 UTC 2021

Hello!

I am facing a weird problem on a native Windows 10 machine (with a Geforce GTX 1660 TI graphic card).

I have developed a gstreamer-based program (that runs on an NVIDIA-based custom embedded system) to send a stream of data coming from a camera over UDP, and I usually receive the stream (which is encoded with H.265) with the command:

gst-launch-1.0 udpsrc port=5000 ! "application/x-rtp, encoding-name=H265, payload=96" ! rtph265depay ! h265parse ! decodebin ! autovideosink

Everything works perfectly under Linux (even using an old version of Gstreamer), and I've tried it also in a Windows 10 VM (using Virtualbox on a Linux host).

However, when doing the same on the above-mentioned Windows 10 PC, things do not work anymore...

This is the error I get:

https://ibb.co/Dtc6w46

[https://i.ibb.co/hyQn2sn/error0.png]<https://ibb.co/Dtc6w46>

error0 — ImgBB<https://ibb.co/Dtc6w46>
ibb.co
Image error0 hosted in ImgBB

Increasing the debug level, I get:

https://ibb.co/q1gx11Q

[https://i.ibb.co/Bs6wssM/error1.png]<https://ibb.co/q1gx11Q>

error1 — ImgBB<https://ibb.co/q1gx11Q>
ibb.co
Image error1 hosted in ImgBB

One step further:

https://ibb.co/9bmcGQN

[https://i.ibb.co/hBxLC3y/error3.png]<https://ibb.co/9bmcGQN>

error3 — ImgBB<https://ibb.co/9bmcGQN>
ibb.co
Image error3 hosted in ImgBB

However, VLC is perfectly able to receive and decode the stream on the same machine (I have ditched it since it introduced an unacceptable latency), and even Gstreamer works perfectly when saving the stream to file with the command:

gst-launch-1.0 -e udpsrc port=5000 ! "application/x-rtp, encoding-name=H265, payload=96" ! rtph265depay ! h265parse ! mp4mux ! filesink location=DST_FILENAME.mp4

instead of showing it on the screen.

As an additional test, I've tried running:

gst-launch-1.0 videotestsrc ! videoconvert ! autovideosink

and it shows the expected pattern.

What I see in the last log shown above is that the detected width and height are totally wrong (it should get 360x288). I have updated the NVIDIA drivers to the latest version, but no change in the results.

1) what could be the issue here? How can I solve it?

2) is there a way to disable hardware acceleration in autovideosink? (since I've managed to decode the H.265 stream in the VM with the emulated video card, I see no point in using it if it causes any trouble).

Thanks a lot in advance!!

Best,

Rob