Query related to Closed Captioning Support in Gstreamer

TusharK csk18.jain at gmail.com
Mon Jan 11 05:25:34 UTC 2021

Thanks Mathieu for sharing the details.

We are mainly particularly looking for CEA708 CC streaming support using
RTSP/RTMP/WebRTC.
As per my understanding, closed caption is getting added into H264 encoded
bit-stream using SEI Registered User Data, so this information will be
available at client / player side (browser / standalone players like VLC
etc.), and  I hope we do not have to make changes to overlay closed
captioning.

Can I assume that the handling of closed caption cea708 (insertion and
extraction) is generic implementation added into gstreamer and most of the
players/browsers will support extraction of closed caption CEA708 data and
render text on the video frame?

Thanks,
Tushar