need help to understand the pipeline

Peter Maersk-Moller pmaersk at gmail.com
Fri Jul 16 12:50:43 UTC 2021

There is a negotiation between every output pad and every input in your
pipeline for every stage in the pipeline. The modules will try to find a
common format (for the part of a complete format) that has not been
specified. You specify "video/x-raw,width=1280,height=800,framerate=10/" as
a partial format specs between output pad of v4l2src (aka src) and input
pad for videoconvert (aka sink). If they both support these specs and if
they can negotiate the rest and agree (video/x-raw is a family of formats,
not a complete full spec - they need to agree on a specific format within
the family), then one of the requirements for data to flow in the pipeline
has been met. Now depending on your hardware (the camera device and how it
is connected), v4l2src can provide a range of encodings, formats,
geometries and framerates although typical only a subset of the full set of
combinations will be available..