need help to understand the pipeline

Peter Maersk-Moller pmaersk at gmail.com
Fri Jul 16 15:28:49 UTC 2021

Well I can't see how you full system is put together, but I can see than
one of the link you send is using CSI used to take in a camera feed
somewhat raw. And the other link lists it supports the following formats:

   -

   support for output formats: *RAW RGB, RGB565/555/444, CCIR656,
   YUV422/420, YCbCr422*, and compression

Plenty of support for raw formats. Furthermore your output from GStreamer
suggests your output (source of v4l2src) outputs YUY2. So the v4l2src
modules gets data and outputs raw video in the format YUY2. This is similar
in quality to a Y422 og Y42B. This is better than I420 as it has twice as
many bytes for colour information. While I420 is often for consumer
products, your format is what is usually used for Prosumer. A compromise
between  cosumer and professionel level. This is good so what is the
problem? Why do you think you have a problem?

That said, apparently the video encoder wants a nv12  comparable to I420
(consumer level). Videoconvert converts and encodes the result. If you want
better result, check if the encoder can support higher quality inputs. But
that's outside the scope of your question. Fact is, you are not using
JPEG/MJPEG and that is often a good thing depending oin what you want. So
what is the problem?

Best regardd

Peter