Plugins: compile specific plugin with newer version

Sebastian Dröge sebastian at centricular.com
Mon Jul 26 06:14:25 UTC 2021

On Mon, 2021-07-19 at 15:52 +0200, F Weers via gstreamer-devel wrote:
> I am running everything inside a Docker container and use apt-get
> install libgstreamer1.0 to install the required packages. Since the
> above mentioned plugin is part of 1.19.1 (if I understand correctly),
> it is not included in the gstreamer1.0-plugins-bad package yet. What
> would be the easiest way to install this package and use it?
> 1. Can I build this plugin on its own or should I build the whole
> https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/gstreamer/gst-plugins-bad/
> repository? In that case, is gst-build the way to go
> (https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/gstreamer/gst-
> build/blob/master/README.md)?

gst-build would be a good way for building the latest git version of
GStreamer. You generally need to build all the modules and not just a
single plugin or module set.
It should however be possible to backport this specific plugin to an
older version and then it should be possible to just compile that.

> 1. If I'm building the plugin from source, should the version of
> GStreamer match this (and thus also be compiled from source to
> 1.19.1)? Or can I keep using the publicly available packages that
> refer to 1.18 (if I'm correctly)?

The build will simply fail otherwise.

> 1. This is probably not the right place, but if I need to update all
> of these, do I also need to update the Rust bindings?

No, they will work with any GStreamer version >= 1.8. The only reason
why you might want to update the bindings would be if there are newer
features or bugfixes that you need.

--
Sebastian Dröge, Centricular Ltd · https://www.centricular.com