video playback with gstreamer is choppy / laggy on raspberry pi 4

dleibovic david.leibovic at gmail.com
Tue Jun 8 23:36:53 UTC 2021

I have tried putting a queue or queue2 element in my pipeline, but it did not
help.

Here is what I tried:

gst-launch-1.0 -e -vvv filesrc location=audio_video_sync_test.mp4 ! qtdemux
! queue ! h264parse ! v4l2h264dec ! queue ! kmssink

I tried putting a queue or queue2 element after either the qtdemux or
v4l2h264dec elements, and also after both elements.

I also tried using "v4l2h264dec capture-io-mode=4" as recommended in one
forum post: https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=240274

Here is a video of the graphics glitches that are occurring for me, in case
it is enlightening for anyone: https://photos.app.goo.gl/b6FPuphAbMKdCgTMA

The glitches start happening at timestamp 0:42 and continue until the end of
the video. The time at which the glitches occur appears to be fairly random.